Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Photo Essay: Hair Salons in Tanzania


I have no idea why hair salons in Africa are so hilarious. But they make me laugh. And sometimes, they make me a little scared. I first noticed this in Senegal when I saw a salon in Dakar with a painting of a man getting his haircut set to the background of the twin towers collapsing.

Here in Tanzania hair salons are just as colorful (and sometimes scary). They are also hugely abundant in this country. No matter where you are, however small and desolate the path you are on, there will probably be a hair salon. Every village I've seen has at least one duka (little shop), usually a bar, and at least two hair salons. At least. And sometimes that is it. But there will always, ALWAYS, be a place to cut your hair. I wonder what it says about Tanzanians' priorities?


Murder Hair Salon, Wasso


Las Vegas Hair Cuts, Arusha


Taliban Hair Cutting Salon, Dar es Salaam


New Generation Hair Cutting Saloon, Wasso


The Game Hair Cutz, Arusha



La Vida Hair Dressing Salon, Arusha




Vibrations Hair Saloon, Arusha

No comments: