Friends!
I am writing to you from the city of Arusha in Northern Tanzania, where I've been studying abroad for the past two months-- and I'm hoping that the internet or electricity doesn't fail me in the middle of this note! Living here, I have learned a lot about life in Tanzania, but I have also been thinking a lot about my life in America. Seeing the effects of international institutions: governments, NGOs, the World Bank and IMF, I have become increasingly wary of the way that the Western world imposes its power in places like Tanzania, even when intentions are 100% benevolent. I have no solution (yet!), but as I contemplate my own "good intentions", and watch leadership change in America, I am further convinced of the importance of education. Which brings me to why I am sending you this letter from half way around the world—because as I struggle with the idea of acting globally, my commitment to acting locally, through The School for Ethics and Global Leadership, has been reaffirmed.I've had the honor of serving on the board of trustees for The School for Ethics and Global Leadership (SEGL) since 2006. If you don't already know, SEGL is a semester program for high school juniors in Washington DC. Each semester, SEGL will enroll 32 highly motivated 11th grade students who represent the rich geographic, socio-economic, and racial diversity of the United States. Against the backdrop of our nation's capital, and with the pedagogical support of distinguished DC academic, service, and policy institutions, SEGL will provide these young leaders with a challenging, experiential curriculum. I attended a semester program as a junior in high school, and it was at this program that Noah Bopp, founder and director of SEGL, sparked my interest in Africa and ignited my commitment to social justice. It would not be a stretch to say that these programs change lives, and that Noah himself has a particular knack for it. If American and its leaders are going to continue to have the international power that we wield today, then I can only hope we will educate ourselves to be more conscientious and thoughtful international actors. That is why I support SEGL.
I am writing to you now to ask you to support SEGL with me. SEGL plans to open for the fall, 2009 semester, and has already raised well over half a million dollars toward its goal. This week, the school is launching an ambitious grassroots campaign to raise $100,000 in 100 days. This campaign will support SEGL's opening in Fall 2009. Will you consider making a contribution? You can donate easily and securely here https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=30073 or by sending a check to PO Box 11633, Washington, DC 20008 (contributions are tax-deductible).
If you would like to learn more about SEGL you can email me or check out the website for the school, www.schoolforethics.org. I would love to talk about it, and welcome any advice you can give me or the school. Feel free to forward this email around and tell anyone you know about SEGL!
This campaign is a rare opportunity to help found an incredible school. Together we can build an extraordinary institution. I hope you will join me.
Asante sana (thank you in Swahili),
Megan
No comments:
Post a Comment