Monday, August 3, 2009

Pictures from Kamara

One day, while attempting to visit the district commissioner in Nakuru, a friendly woman began to ask me about my research. It turned out that she lived near Molo-- the town that I was planning to visit the next day. Her insistence that I stay at her house was immediate. A second hadn't passed before the invitation was out there. So, the next day, after a quick busride to Molo and an intense tour of the IDP situation with the Molo Red Cross, I met up with my new homestay mama of the day and took a few more buses out to her home area of Kamara. It turns out that a lot of violence had begun in Kamara-- participation coming in big numbers from the Kamara youth. So I was fascinated in hearing their perspectives (she had three kids in their twenties). It was sort of culture shock going from IDP camp to lush farmlands and seeming prosperity-- but I appreciated their hospitality and the opportunity it allowed for me to see a bit of both sides. And when else will I meet a random stranger and end up cooking beans and chai in her house the next day? This was a special occasion.







No comments: